Being a weaver doesn't sound all that exciting nor does it seem to be an occupation full of action. But it can be overly exciting like the other day.
I was preparing to dye the warp in my cauldron.
In order to make the dye I fill a pot with leaves and cover them with water and boil for a while.
What I did this day is unforgivable: I left for my paying job and ...forgot the pot on the stove on full blaze.
But this I didn't realize before I had opened the front door 5 hours later.
When I arrived back home I stood for a while outside to admire the starry sky and hear a smoke detector in the distance at somebodies house. Thought that somebody should be alarmed.
I opened the front door and realized the howling was coming out of my apartment and that it was full of smoke.
I immediately realized what had happened. Memory all of a sudden was alert. Still wearing my thick woolen mittens from the bike ride I went straight into the kitchen where the smoking cauldron was. Unbelievably cool in the head I turned off the red blazing hotplate lifted the cauldron off the stove and took it outside the house. Returned inside and opened all windows and doors and got a refreshing gale in through the house for about 3 hours. As the draft was really strong I had to release the walls of various items that hung there as they were fluttering, banging and hitting the walls. When I finally settled down in a cold but fairly freshly aired apartment the shock came.
It could have been worse, the whole place could had been on fire!
I calmed myself down thinking, but it wasn't on fire. So?
Lucky in spite of all.
It has been a week now and this unwanted huge incense is still influencing the place but the smell/ fragrance is getting fainter every day. So it is not too bad. Tomorrow I will have a gang of warp holders at the studio helping me to warp the next piece.
I have received a lovely Stollen from Dresden that will be served to the warp holders with coffee and I have to bake something for them too.
Warping can also be very, very exciting;) procedure. But I hope it will not set the house on fire.
Anna María Lind, MA Textile Art from Winchester School of Art.